Communities of SECLA

Avonmore Community League - http://www.avonmore.org/

This neighbourhood is bounded on the southeast by Argyll Road, on the southwest by Mill Creek Ravine, on the north by 76 Avenue and on the east by 75 Street. It is surrounded by a mixture of residential neighbourhoods and industrial subdivisions. To the north is the residential subdivision of King Edward Park. To the east and south east are the industrial subdivisions of Girard Industrial and Coronet Addition Industrial. Separated from Avonmore by the Mill Creek Ravine are the residential neighbourhoods of Argyll, Hazeldean and Ritchie.

 

Capilano Community League - http://Capilano.info

The North Saskatchewan River Valley and the Gold Bar Ravine encompass three sides of this neighbourhood, and 106th Avenue forms the southern boundary. The two major arterial roads located in the neighbourhood (50th Street and 106th Avenue) provide residents with easy access to other areas of the city.  Capilano was annexed to Edmonton in 1949. Capilano’s residential make up is almost entirely single-detached housing, and most of these homes were constructed before 1960.

 

Cloverdale Community League - http://www.cloverdalecommunity.com/

Cloverdale is in the heart of the river valley along the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River. Settlement of Cloverdale began in the 1870s when two farms were established. Most of Cloverdale was annexed in 1907 by the Town of Strathcona and later became part of Edmonton when the two cities joined through amalgamation in 1912. By 1915 the neighbourhood was fully established with a school, stores, local industries and churches. Development in Cloverdale has also shifted over time, and many of the original buildings have been replaced with higher density housing;however, there is still plenty of recreational open space. Cloverdale provides the stage for the annual Edmonton Folk Festival.

 

Forest Terrace Heights Community League - http://www.forestterrace.org/

The Forest Terrace Heights community league represents the neighbourhoods of Forest Heights and Terrace Heights:

The Forest Heights neighbourhood sitting atop the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River Valley, where the river makes a bend from the north to east. Three roadways bound Forest Heights (75th Street/Capilano Freeway, 98th Avenue, and 84th Street) and three roadways that pass through the neighbourhood (101 Avenue, 106 Avenue, and 79 Street), serving as access routes to North Edmonton via four valley bridges. The neighbourhood’s commercial and higher density residential land uses are concentrated along these roadways. The neighbourhood’s street network is a combination of grid and modified grid patterns. The Terrace Heights neighbourhood functions as two low density residential areas, separated by a high-density residential and commercial corridor along 101 Avenue. The neighbourhood has access to major shopping and employment centres, including the nearby Capilano Mall. The northern residential area is located near the Fulton Ravine which runs through the neighbourhood on the northeast side.

 

Fulton Place Community League - http://www.fultonplace.org/

Fulton Place is named after Fulton Creek, which runs through the ravine on the west boundary. The neighbourhood extends eastward to 50 Street and lies between 101 Avenue and 106 Avenue. A number of recreational facilities and parks are available in the neighbourhood and single detached homes account for most of the total dwelling units within the neighbourhood, while low rise apartments and semi-detached homes make up the remainder.

 

Gold Bar Community League - http://GoldBarCL.com

The  south boundary of the Gold Bar neighbourhood is 101 Ave and to the north it is the middle of 106B Ave or 107th Ave & 43 Street. Gold Bar is a mainly residential area of single family dwellings, with townhomes located along 102 Ave. The first homes were built in Gold Bar in 1957.  

 

Holyrood Community League - http://holyroodcommunity.org/

Holyrood is bounded on four sides by major roadways (75 St and 85 St, 90 Ave and 98 Ave) which clearly define the neighbourhood and allow residents good access to other parts of the city. The neighbourhood was mostly developed during the 1950s and has many of the design features typical of this era. Its tree lined interior streets are arranged in a modified grid pattern and incorporate several landscaped street islands.  

 

Idylwylde Community League - http://idylwylde.org/

Idylwylde was first subdivided and named in 1914, although the majority of the area developed in the 1950s. Idylwyde is bounded on four sides by major roadways (75 St and 83 St, Whyte Ave and 90 Ave), and the neighbourhood’s street network is based on a modified grid pattern. The neighbourhood is developed predominantly with single-detached homes. Several apartments, a high school and some commercial land uses are located along the neighbourhood’s boundaries.

 

Kenilworth Community League - http://www.kenilworthcommunity.com/

Kenilworth is predominantly a residential area, bounded on each side with a major traffic routes (50 St and 75 St, Whyte Ave and 90 Ave),and a commercial corridor along Whyte (82) Avenue at the southern boundary. The majority of structures in Kenilworth are single-detached homes built during the 1960s with a small number of two, three and four-unit housing structures are scattered through the neighbourhood. A central school/park sites defines the core of the neighbourhood.  

 

Ottewell Community League - http://www.ottewell.org/ 

Ottewell is among the largest of Edmonton’s neighbourhoods. Its boundaries are defined by major arterials to the east, north and west, (50 St, 98 Ave and 75 St) and a collector road to the south (90 Ave). The dominant structure type in Ottewell are single detached homes. The commercial focus of the neighbourhood is Capilano Mall located in the northeast corner of Ottewell. A smaller commercial plaza is situated on 90th Avenue. 

 

Strathearn Community League - http://www.strathearncommunityleague.org/

Strathearn is located on portions of land originally identified by the first river lot and township surveys of the Edmonton Settlement, as River Lots 21 and 23, plus part of a section to the east. Donnell Road in the Strathearn area was first annexed to the City of Strathcona and subdivided in 1907. In 1912, it joined Edmonton when Edmonton and Strathcona amalgamated. The remaining area of Strathearn was annexed in 1913. Strathearn is bounded by Strathearn Drive and Strathearn Crescent to the north, 85 St to the east, and Connors Road to the south/ southwest.

Map of Kenilworth