We are delighted to report that construction on the next phase of the park is scheduled for 2021.
Currently the Capilano skatepark is the only amenity in the park. Features being added in 2021 reflect what we heard from you.
Some of the new amenities will include:
- A paved walking loop to connect all the features of the park and allow accessibility for all ages and abilities.
- Adult/youth fitness equipment in fitness pods along the walkway. The equipment will be multipurpose pieces that focus on balance and strength.
- Benches with arms to improve accessibility for sitting down and getting up, especially for those who are elderly or with mobility issues. Most of the benches are placed in groupings of two or more to make it easier to chat with your neighbor.
- Tables for seating and to enjoy picnics in the park.
- A half-basketball court.
- Shade elements include shade trees and a shade structure.
Note: The community also asked for native planting and edible plantings and the plan is for future naturalized plantings along the north edge of the park. We will be working with Root for Trees to add native plants and edible plants in this area by community planting projects; however, the planting can only begin after a one to two-year period during which the area is undisturbed. This future planting area will be fenced off once construction begins on the rest of the park.
If you would like to help fund this project, donate.secla.ca